Sunday, August 24, 2014

Writing: Extreme weather

I have been to Cuba twice. I first travelled when I had just finished my studies at university. It was a delightful trip, I really enjoyed the flight, the country, the local people and so on.

The second time was very different. Right then I was working for a consulting company. We (my team and I) had just ended a project and the manager forced us to take two weeks off. My group of friends didn't know what to do, because no one had made any plan, but we didn't want to waste this free time. Then we were told that travelling to Cuba was very cheap and  my group and I accepted the suggestion.

It was a relatively quiet flight and we took off from Madrid more or less on time. But when we landed at the airport of Havana (I do not remember the airport's name) we learnt why our trip was so cheap. ¡ We were in Cuba in the hurricane's season¡.

I couldn't believe it. In spite of this, we were determined to enjoy our vacations.

But it wasn't possible, a strong hurricane was expected very soon. In fact, when we reached the hotel, the manager advice us to stay in our rooms and added that we shouldn't leave our bedrooms unless it was absolutely necessary.

On the other hand, rooms were prepared to endure the hurricane. The windows were covered with wood panels, and food and water were taken into the them.

I have to admit that we were frightened, none of us had undergone a hurricane. However, it was not so bad. Only strong winds, some whistlings and four days without electricity.

For local people, instead, consequences were terrible. Many houses were completely under water and the rest had suffered damages due to the strong winds. Many Cuban people lost all their stuff.

Next time we will wonder why a journey is son cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment